|(United States Of America)|
PPG Industries reported third quarter 2013 net sales of $4 billion, up 17 percent versus the prior year. Third quarter 2013 reported net income from continuing operations was $220 million, or $1.52 per diluted share, and adjusted net income from continuing operations was $353 million, or $2.44 per diluted share.
Third quarter 2012 reported net income and earnings per diluted share from continuing operations were $288 million and $1.86, respectively. There were no nonrecurring charges in the prior-year quarter.
- Net sales of $4 billion, up 17 percent versus prior year
- Record adjusted earnings per diluted share from continuing operations of $2.44, up 31 percent versus prior year
- Cash and short-term investments totaling $2.2 billion at quarter-end
- Anticipated full-year share repurchases at high end of previously communicated range
- Reported earnings per diluted share from continuing operations of $1.52, including previously announced restructuring charge and other nonrecurring items
Third quarter 2013 adjusted net income excludes after-tax charges of $73 million, or 50 cents per diluted share, for previously announced business restructuring; $56 million, or 39 cents per diluted share, due to an increase in a legacy environmental reserve; and $4 million, or 3 cents per diluted share, for acquisition-related expenses. A Regulation G Reconciliation of third quarter 2013 adjusted net income and earnings per diluted share to reported net income and earnings per diluted share is included below.
Third quarter 2013 reported and adjusted net income include lower pension expenses resulting from a reorganization of certain company pension plans, which occurred as a part of recently completed separation activities of the former commodity chemicals business. These changes resulted in a catch-up benefit recorded in the third quarter of about $9 million pretax, $6 million after tax, or a total of 4 cents per diluted share, which relates to the first half 2013 reporting periods. This benefit will recur, adding about $4 million to pretax income each quarter going forward.
“We continued to deliver record financial performance in the third quarter as positive impacts from our cash deployment and our strong operating focus were coupled with a broader improvement in market conditions,” said Charles E. Bunch, PPG chairman and chief executive officer. “Aerospace and automotive OEM coatings remained PPG’s most consistent growth drivers, with many other businesses contributing to the overall sales and earnings growth.
“In comparison with recent quarters, year-over-year sales volume trends improved in each major region during the quarter, including some initial signs of stability in Europe,” Bunch said. “We continued our cost-reduction actions and benefited from these improving demand trends, which helped us deliver record third quarter earnings in each major region.
“Performance within the North American architectural coatings business acquired from AkzoNobel continued to improve, and we remained aggressive in capturing our targeted synergies,” Bunch said. “Within the six months following the transaction closing, we already realized, on a run-rate basis, more than 50 percent of the targeted $200 million of acquisition synergies. While there remains considerable work ahead, I am pleased with the team’s excellent progress to date.”
Click here to view full results
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design