The imports of cotton by Vietnam have increased both in terms of value and volume during the first eight months of the current year, according to data from the General Department of Vietnam Customs.
From January to August 2013, Vietnam imported 385,888 tons of cotton, showing a rise of 44.58 percent year-on-year. In terms of volume, cotton imports were worth US$ 770.752 million, an increase of 31.44 percent year-on-year.
The US, India, Australia, Brazil, Ivory Coast, Pakistan, China and Indonesia were the main countries from which Vietnam imported cotton to meet the domestic requirements of its textile industry.
The US exported 168,035 tons of cotton to Vietnam during the eight-month period, which is a rise of 104.05 percent compared to the same period last year. In terms of value it was US$ 347.658 million, showing a rise of 85.53 percent year-on-year.
India was the second-largest exporter of cotton to Vietnam with 85,553 tons valued at US$ 158.638 million, registering an increase of 93.54 percent and 79.39 percent, respectively.
Australia was the third-largest exporter of cotton to Vietnam with 20,714 tons valued at US$ 45.449 million, showing a growth of 96.55 percent and 87.53 percent, respectively.
In recent years, Vietnam’s cotton imports have grown at a fast pace. From imports of about 150,000 tons in 2005, cotton imports grew to 420,000 tons in 2012, making Vietnam among the top five largest cotton importers in the world.
The cotton production in Vietnam meets only 1 percent of its domestic demand and hence the country depends on imports to a large extent for its textile industry.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design