Backed by rising demand from emerging markets like China, Africa and Latin America, India’s handicraft exports are expected to rise by over 15 percent to surpass the US$ 3.8 billion export target set for 2013-14, Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) Executive Director Rakesh Kumar has said.
Though the demand from European markets is still moving sluggishly, exporters are receiving good response from traditional US market, and also new markets like China, Africa and Latin America. This persuaded them to fix a higher export target for the current fiscal year, above last year’s exports worth US$ 3.3 billion, Economic Times reported quoting Mr. Kumar.
According to the EPCH data, the sector’s exports grew by about 12 percent to US$ 869 million during first four months (April-July) of the current fiscal, as compared to same period of previous fiscal.
The items that posted positive export growth during the period included hand-printed textiles and scarves, whose exports posted an 8 percent year-on-year rise, and shawls as artwares, whose exports grew by about 31.69 percent year-on-year.
Jaipur, Jodhpur, Saharanpur and Moradabad are the main handicraft centres in India that serve as a source of livelihood for over one million people, and cater to the domestic as well as international markets.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design