The Southwest Kenyan County of Siaya plans to revamp cotton production in the region with the aim of making it the main cash crop.
Cornel Amoth Rasanga, Governor of Siaya County, speaking shortly after convening his first cabinet meeting, said a number of American investors have already shown interest in investing in cotton production in the county, reports Citizen News.
Mr. Rasanga expressed the plan would help revive the Ndere Cotton Ginnery in the county that collapsed several years ago.
The Governor explained that as a way of ensuring proper yield across the region, the county government intends to introduce contract farming, where farmers would have to sign an agreement with the government on how to support them to enhance effective cotton production.
The contracts will also aid in blocking middlemen who have been exploiting the local farmers in the recent past.
Mr. Rasanga also revealed that the county government would put in place proper mechanisms to ensure that the cotton farmers deliver and adhere to the terms and conditions of the agreement as stipulated.
The contract will entail provision of farm inputs to the cotton famers through the farmers’ cooperative societies and groups to enhance high quality produce, he added.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design