The association of cotton producers of Piura region, located in northwestern Peru, has appealed for allocation of compensation to counter the unfair competition faced by local producers due to subsidized imports of cotton from US.
Cesar Zapata Alzamora, president of the cotton producers association of Piura, said it was important to seek compensation for the domestic cotton producers, reports LaRepublica.
The National Association of Cotton Producers (ANPAL) in Peru, along with the other non-governmental organizations, has filed an appeal before the Commission of Antidumping and Subsidies (CFD) of the National Institute of Defense of Competition and Intellectual Property Protection (INDECOPI) for giving compensation to local farmers, he added.
Mr. Alzamora explained that American cotton continuously enters the country at subsidized value or undercut prices because the US Government supports its farmers with direct payments and subsidized credit for marketing and exports of cotton.
The US subsidy policy creates a distortion in the price paid by textile traders to Peruvian producers which has resulted in lower production of Peruvian cotton.
Earlier this month, INDECOPI suggested an imposition of 10 percent countervailing duty on the imports of US cotton, based on its investigations conducted in 2012.
Fibre2fashion News Desk - India
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design