The Peruvian cotton only meets 40 percent of the requirements of Peru’s textile and garment chain, and the rest 60 percent is met by imported cotton, mainly US cotton.
Jose Ignacio Llosa, president of the Committee of Textiles of the National Society of Industries (SNI), said the Peruvian cotton production is limited by several structural problems that the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation (MINAGRI) is trying to resolve, but has failed so far, Peruvian news agency andina reported.
In this regard Mr. Llosa requested the Institute of National Defense of Competition and Intellectual Property Protection (INDECOPI) to prepare a careful analysis on the possibility of applying countervailing duties on the imports of cotton from the US.
The countervailing duties would raise the local spinners’ cotton price which would affect the entire textile and clothing chain.
INDECOPI investigation on the subsidies provided on Peruvian cotton by the US in 2012 was initiated by the demand of the local cotton farmers.
In a preliminary report, INDECOPI suggested that the subsidies granted by the Government of US on the cotton produced in the country are the reasons for the decline in the cultivation of cotton in Peru.
Mr. Llosa said the local industry believes there are other relevant factors also affecting the decline in the production. Small farms, low production per hectare, the abandonment of genetic development, lack of funding, and the informality present in the sector are among the factors contributing to low cotton production in Peru.
The low domestic cotton production drastically affects the Peruvian spinning industry and endangers the entire textile chain that employs 450,000 workers directly and 1.5 million workers indirectly, he added.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design