|(United States Of America)|
In the second quarter of 2013, we generated a profit of $201 million compared to profit of $186 million for the second quarter of 2012. The increase was primarily due to lower finance costs in the second quarter of 2013.
For the six months ended June 30, 2013, we generated profit of $386 million, compared to profit of $374 million for the six months ended June 30, 2012. The yearover- year increase was primarily due to increased operating profit in the Corunna Olefins and Polyethylene segments, partially offset by lower operating profit in the Joffre Olefins segment.
The Olefins/Polyolefins business unit generated $328 million of operating profit in the second quarter of 2013 versus operating profit of $338 million in the second quarter of 2012. The decrease was primarily due to lower margins in the Joffre Olefins and Corunna Olefins segments, offset somewhat by higher margins and increased sales volumes in the Polyethylene segment.
For the six months ended June 30, 2013, the business unit generated operating profit of $664 million compared to operating profit of $643 million for the six months ended June 30, 2012. The increase was primarily due to improved margins in the Corunna Olefins and Polyethylene segments and increased sales volumes in the Polyethylene segment, partially offset by lower margins in the Joffre Olefins segment.
The Performance Styrenics segment reported operating profit from continuing operations of nil in the second quarter of both 2013 and 2012. For the six months ended June 30, 2013, the segment generated operating profit from continuing operations of nil compared to $5 million for the six months ended June 30, 2012. The year-over-year decline was primarily due to higher feedstock costs that were somewhat offset by higher sales prices.
On July 30, 2013, we closed our offering of $500 million 5.25% senior notes due 2023. The net proceeds of the offering were used to purchase $279 million of our outstanding $350 million 8.375% senior notes due 2016 that were tendered pursuant to a cash tender offer and consent solicitation and to pay related transaction fees and expenses.
The remainder will be used for general corporate purposes, which may include, among other things, the repurchase, redemption or other acquisition of any of the 8.375% senior notes due 2016 that were not tendered in the tender offer.
On June 7, 2013, we held the official groundbreaking event for the PE1 Expansion to celebrate a growth milestone at our Joffre, Alberta complex. This event marked the official start of the construction phase of the Polyethylene 1 (“PE1”) Expansion Project – a key component of our NOVA 2020 growth strategy of adding value to emerging cost-competitive feedstocks and to support growing North American polyethylene demand.
About NOVA Chemicals
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals, plastic resins and end-products that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care. NOVA Chemicals is a wholly owned subsidiary of International Petroleum Investment Company (“IPIC”) of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design