|(United States Of America)|
“Sustainability” has become a conundrum for primary commodity industries: something everyone demands but no one knows quite how to define or what it means in practical terms.
The ICAC Expert Panel on Social, Environmental and Economic Performance of Cotton Production (SEEP) is delivering a report at the 72nd Plenary Meeting of the ICAC based on the indicators of sustainability contained in the major responsibility systems used in cotton today, ranging from organic and Fair Trade to the MyBMP program in Australia.
The SEEP report is technically focused and includes an empirically driven set of recommendations for a core set of indicators defining a minimum standard for sustainable cotton production.
The premise of the report is that an industry-wide effort to measure sustainability of cotton farming will require agreement on what are the key issues to be addressed, what are the best measures to assess progress, and who are the stakeholders to undertake the responsibility for doing so.
Since the choice of indicators and the measures used for assessment will affect the structure, conduct and performance of the cotton industry in the decades ahead, producers and all stakeholders in the cotton value chain have a vital interest in ensuring that “sustainable" cotton production is defined both ambitiously and pragmatically based on an inclusive process of consultation and extensive dialogue.
Two World Café Sessions in Cartagena will be devoted to facilitating the start of just such an inclusive process, and all those with an interest in how “sustainable" cotton production is defined are encouraged to come to Cartagena for the 72nd ICAC Plenary Meeting.
International Cotton Advisory Committee
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design