Eyeing diversification in its product portfolio, Coir Board of India is gearing up to ink a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Silk Board to weave silk with coir blend, Coir Board Chairman G Balachandran has said.
Based on the preliminary research undertaken at the Central Coir Research Institute (CCRI), the Coir Board is set to ink the MoU with the Silk Board within a month or so, Times of India reported quoting Mr. Balachandran.
The new fabric can be used for manufacturing curtains, clothing, furnishing materials and also jackets that can be used for military purpose at high altitudes, said CCRI Director US Sarma.
Highlighting the Coir Board’s efforts for diversifying its product portfolio, Mr. Sarma said that over the past few years the Board and CCRI have developed several innovative products like coir chappals, umbrellas and venetian blind.
Earlier this month, the Coir Board implemented a new marketing strategy to increase sales. During the 12th Five-Year Plan (2012-17) period, the Board has set a target of achieving Rs. 30 billion in sales turnover in the domestic market.
In 2012-13, India exported Rs. 11.16 billion worth of coir and coir products, registering a six percent rise over previous fiscal’s exports of Rs. 10.52 billion. In terms of volume, too, India’s coir exports grew by five percent from 410,854 tons in 2011-12 to 429,500 tons in 2012-13.
Over the next five years, India’s coir geotextiles exports are likely to take a big leap to reach around Rs. 5 billion from existing Rs. 250 million, according to the Board.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design