The exports of readymade garments, pashmina and woolen carpets from Nepal have shown double-digit decline during the first ten months of the current fiscal year, which began on July 16, 2012, according to Nepal’s central bank – Nepal Rastra Bank – statistics.
Nepal’s garment exports to third countries (except India) fell down by 27.9 percent year-on-year to Np Rs. 2.5 billion, during the first 10 months of 2012-13 period, Republica reported.
Nepal´s apparel exports are seeing a negative growth since the US Government ended its duty-free-quota-free facility, in 2005.
During the ten-month period, Nepal’s pashmina-made items worth Rs. 1.26 billion were sold overseas, recording a dip of 51 percent year-on-year.
The Pashmina entrepreneurs of Nepal are worried that the amount given by the Government towards promotion is insufficient to support the industry for exploring new markets, which has reduced its exports in the past few years.
Nepal’s carpet exports to third countries declined by 12.9 percent y-o-y to Rs. 4.95 billion, during the period under review.
Meanwhile, Nepal imported clothing worth Rs. 2.47 billion from India during the same period, recording a fall of nine percent compared to the same period in the last fiscal year. Garment imports from third countries, mainly from China, also fell by 27.9 percent to Rs. 2.5 billion.
Recently, the International Trade Centre (ITC), a subsidiary organization of the World Trade Organization (WTO), has promised a US$ 2 million aid for Nepal’s Pashmina Enhancement and Trade Support (PETS) project, to support the country’s pashmina industry.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design