Workers at an Auckland carpet factory are facing disruption this afternoon with the news that their factory will close and jobs will be relocated to another site, with a small number of redundancies.
Cavalier owned Norman Ellison Carpets made an announcement to staff and the NZX this afternoon that operations at their Onehunga tufting plant would cease and be relocated to Cavalier’s Papatoetoe factory.
51 processing workers are affected by the announcement. 45 jobs are expected to be offered at Cavalier’s site in Papatoetoe. The move is expected to take place over the next six months.
Paul Watson, Textiles Secretary for FIRST Union, said that announcement was a further example of rationalising in the carpet manufacturing industry.
It follows last year’s closure of Norman Ellison Carpet’s spinning plant in Onehunga, adjacent to the tufting plant, with around 85 job losses, and redundancies at Summit Wool Spinners in Oamaru earlier this year.
“It is good that a substantial number of jobs will be offered at Cavalier Bremworth’s plant in Papatoetoe. These are skilled workers and the company will want to retain their expertise as far as they can,” Paul Watson said.
“Unfortunately there will likely be a small number of redundancies and different work hours will not suit all workers.”
Paul Watson said that despite upbeat talk from the government on manufacturing, there were still significant challenges in many parts of the manufacturing industry outside of the primary sector.
“The government can try and talk up the state of manufacturing but workers lives are still being disrupted,” he said.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design