After a year of struggle IndustriALL's Jordanian affiliate, the General Trade Union of Workers in Textile, Garment & Clothing Industries, reached a sectoral agreement with the two employers’ associations: Jordan Garments, Accessories & Textiles Exporters’ Association and the Association of owners of Factories, workshops and Garments.
The agreement stresses the right to organize and non-discrimination of trade unionists at the workplace. It supports the creation of a positive environment for social dialogue.
The agreement also insists on the strengthening of health and safety at the workplace with union participation. The rights of contract workers and migrants who compose the majority of the garment workforce in Jordan are specified in the contract.
Fathallah Omrani, President of the General Trade Union of Workers in Textile, Garment & Clothing Industries said, “this is a historical achievement and will help secure the continuity of textile and garment industry in Jordan while providing better working conditions.”
He also said that workers in other sectors should aim at getting similar agreements.
In light of the recent tragedies in garment factories in Bangladesh where the lack of freedom of association and the rights to collective bargaining prevented the unions from denying entrance of workers in unsafe building, this is a timely development.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design