The new Elastosil Vario addition-curing, silicone rubber from Wacker
Germany chemicals company Wacker Chemie AG has developed a new modular system for pourable, addition-curing silicone rubber compounds, Elastosil Vario.
Falling into the category of addition-curing RTV-2 silicone rubber compounds, Elastosil Vario consist of two components that enter into an addition reaction with each other at room temperature in the presence of a platinum catalyst. The system consists of four modules: two different base components and two different catalyst components. The two base components can be blended together in any ratio, and so can the two catalysts.
From these modules, the processor mixes the two components of the RTV-2 silicone rubber compound in the quantities needed for curing, explains Wacker. The mixing ratios for the base components and for the catalysts can be varied to match both the reactivity of the silicone rubber compound and the hardness of the elastomer for the intended application.
The mixing ratio for the two catalysts determines how reactive the system is and how fast the rubber cures. For instance, the pot life can be set to any value ranging from a few minutes to far in excess of two hours. Curing times range from 15 minutes to 7 hours.
The hardness of the cured rubber is determined by the ratio in which the two base components are mixed, with attainable durometer hardness values spanning 15 to 40 Shore A. Irrespective of the mixing ratio for the base components, Wacker says the tensile and tear strengths of the cured rubber remain consistently high.
Typical applications of Elastosil Vario are encapsulation of electronic devices and circuits and coating of technical textiles and metal or plastic surfaces. The modular system also lends itself to the production of gaskets and of silicone mold parts, such as those used for making prototypes in medical technology. It can also be used to make all kinds of reproductions and molds.
The company adds that Elastosil Vario is translucent and can be pigmented in any color. The two self-mixed components can be processed in pressure-less casting systems, either by hand or with the aid of two-component mixing and metering lines.
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design