Cotton Australia has called on the Queensland Government to use next week's State Budget to provide relief to irrigators from another massive increase in electricity pricing.
The call followed the Queensland Competition Authority's (QCA) determination for an electricity price increase of 20% for most irrigators.
Cotton Australia’s Queensland Policy Manager, Michael Murray, says the hike was even more than the significant increase flagged by the QCA earlier this year, when it released its draft report in February.
“The QCA has made its determination, but Cotton Australia calls on the Queensland Government not to impose the full increases,” Mr Murray says.
“With these increases, electricity for irrigators has blown out by more than 250% since 2000, which is simply unsustainable,” he said.
"These rises are completely unjustifiable, given annual inflation has been pegged around 3% per annum. There is something very, very wrong with a system that - year after year - awards price hikes far above CPI."
Mr Murray says the Queensland Government should provide immediate relief, and also map out a longer term process to bring electricity prices under control.
"The upcoming Budget is a perfect opportunity for the Queensland Government to consider the plight of the state's farmers and address the imbalance currently in our electricity pricing system."
Middle East News
- Media Information: Autefa Solutions announces new agency for the Indian market
- Denimsandjeans India to discuss trend of unisex denim
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%
- Maharashtra cabinet approves textile policy for 2018-23
- UAE has the lowest VAT regionally and globally
- Costs rise at sharpest pace for UAE’s private sector businesses
- Budget 2018-19: Customs duty on silk fabric hiked to 20%
- Reduction in tax for MSMEs to benefit TN textile firms
- Budget: TEA hails Rs 7148cr allocation for textile sector
- Indian textile industry hails budget with some scepticism
- Arvind Q3 revenue up 16% at Rs 2,706 crore
- Amazon infuses 1,950 cr fresh capital to India operations
- Indian brand Ekaya at Paris Haute Couture Week
- E-commerce platform for artisans in India's Kashmir
- SRTEPC honours RIL with 5 gold trophies
- Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY 2018-19: World Bank
- Wazir Advisors Introduction
- 10 Reasons to Invest in Textile Sector in India
- India’s Standing in Global Textile and Apparel Industry
- India: A Land of Opportunities
- Patterns, images and colors demanded in the Iranian carper markets
- CE certificate or sign on the carpet; Indicator of product quality or inaudible imprint of international clarification
- The classification of textile floorings In terms of fire-taking behavior according to the provisions of European Union
- Remain unknown the place of modern carpet design